Overview of Erectile Dysfunction
What is Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
ED is technically defined as “the persistent inability to achieve or maintain penile erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual performance.”
There are several factors that can cause erectile dysfunction. Most often, it has to do with lack of blood supply to the penis. Other times, it can be caused by psychological troubles.
How common is Erectile Dysfunction?
Age 40: 40% of men
Age 70: 70% of men
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
The National Health and Social Life Survey found that as age increased, sexual desire decreased. Men aged 50-59 were 3 times as likely to experience issues with erections and sexual desire compared to men aged 18-29.
What can increase your risk for Erectile Dysfunction?
- Type 2 Diabetes
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Prostate problems
- Low testosterone
- Peyronie’s disease (penis curvature)
- Priapism (penis inflammation)
- Alcohol and/or drug use
- Relationship issues
What are some treatments to help with Erectile Dysfunction?
- Lifestyle Changes
- Quit smoking
- One year after quitting smoking, erectile dysfunction can improve by 25%
- Weight loss
- Erectile dysfunction is increased 50% in obese individuals vs. health weight men
- Health eating
- Quit smoking
- Vacuum Erection Devices (VED)
Vacuum Erection Devices are a non-medication way to gain an erection. Also known as penis pumps, the device pulls blood to the penis. With the help of a constriction ring at the base of the penis, an erection can be maintained for around 30 minutes. These devices have a success rate of almost 95%.
The devices can have a downside, as some men don’t like how the device is not subtle, is hard to hid, and can occasionally cause bruising to the penis.
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Tadalafil stays in your body for up to 24-36 hours, so it is perfect for unexpected or spontaneous sex.
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- With Sildenafil, it works better with sexual stimulation
At Flatirons Family Pharmacy, we can compound these medications for you into a troche or a rapid dissolving tablet. By getting them in this form, you don’t need to worry about taking them food, and they have a faster onset! No more waiting up to an hour; most men will get an erection within 20 minutes.
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Testosterone plays a big role in enhancing sex drive, energy, and mood. Supplementation along with Cialis or Viagra can make a big difference in your sex life.
At Flatirons Family Pharmacy, we compound creams, gels, and topical solutions that are tailored specifically to you and the dosage that you need.
Last resort treatments
- Intraurethral alprostadil
- Intracavernosal injections
- Penile prosthesis surgery